The McBirney Mansion has passed through various hands since its completion in 1927. Commissioned by Tulsa banker James H. McBirney, architect John Long modeled the famous mansion in the Gothic Tudor style, popular in the United Kingdom in the mid- to late 19th century. When the home was complete, it served as a private residence for the McBirney family.
The family owned the home until 1975, when it was purchased by local philanthropists Roger and Donna Hardesty, who in turn sold the mansion to the law firm of Doyle, Holmes, Gasaway and Green. The historic estate also served as a bed and breakfast inn during the late 1990s and in recent years, a popular event venue. In 2014 the home returned to its original status as a private residence.
Located in the Childers Heights addition, the McBirney Mansion was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.