Located in northwest Tulsa, Newblock Park opened in 1927 and was named for Herman F. Newblock, who served four terms as mayor of Tulsa. The Newblock Park Trail connects the Riverparks trail system to the Katy Trail. The park now contains Joe Station Bark Park, located on the site of former baseball fields, and WaterWorks Art Center, which occupies the original 1910 brick building.
The site now occupied by the park was originally used for a water filtration plant by the Tulsa Water Department in the early 20th century. Its purpose was to remove silt from Arkansas River water, which was then piped to users in Tulsa. The filtration plant was unable to meet the design requirements and was abandoned in 1918. Tulsa then selected the Spavinaw Water Project to provide water for the city.