After several attempts to establish a library in Tulsa by women’s clubs beginning in 1905, a group of citizens finally persuaded Andrew Carnegie, in 1912, to provide $35,000 to build a library if the city would provide a suitable site and $3,500 per year to maintain it. But the election for local support failed. A book shower brought in 800 donated volumes for a temporary library. In December, 1912, Miss Alma Reid McGlenn of Pittsburgh, PA, accepted the position of Librarian. She arrived in January, 1913, and the first formal library opened in the basement of the Court House on March 1. By the end of the month 646 people had applied for cards and 2,150 books were checked out.