Tulsa's Admiral Twin Drive-In opened originally as a single screen in 1951 and was called the Modernaire. A second screen was added a year later and the venue was renamed The Admiral Twin Drive-In. The nine-story structure was the largest wood screen tower ever built.
Admiral Twin epitomizes the nostalgic drive-in movie theaters of the past, so much so that it was featured in the Francis Ford Coppola's 1983 classic "The Outsiders" as the 1950s hangout.
Located directly off historic Route 66, The Admiral Twin has provided outdoor entertainment to generations of people. After a fire destroyed both original wooden screens in 2010, thousands of Tulsans pledged to save the venue, making donations and hosting fundraisers so that the drive-in could be restored to glory. The theater was rebuilt and opened in 2012 with a steel screen.