Icon search Icon hamburger
Icon close large

Photo: The Beryl Ford Collection/Rotary Club of Tulsa, Tulsa City-County Library and Tulsa Historical Society.

Early Tulsa: An Official Name

BY (Franks 7) (Goble 30) (Debo 37)

In March 1879, the United States recognized George Perryman’s impressive “White House” as the town’s first post office and officially designated the new stop “Tulsa.” The White House was located at the intersection of what is now 41st Street and Troost. George’s brother, Josiah Perryman, became Tulsa’s first postmaster.

In addition to serving as Tulsa’s first post office, George Perryman’s “White House” was used as a respite for orphaned children, the sick and anyone in need. George Perryman married a Lochapoka woman in 1868, and her sound nursing skills became known throughout the area.