A similar Tulsa home to Harwelden Mansion on Riverside Drive, the McBirney Mansion has passed through various hands since its completion in 1927. Commissioned by Tulsa banker James H. McBirney, architect John Long modeled the famous mansion in the Gothic Tudor style, popular in the United Kingdom in the mid- to late 19th century. When the home was complete, it served as a private residence for the McBirney family.
Landscaping features magnolias and cedars, a grotto and a rock-lined walk that make effective use of the spring that gave the site its original importance. McBirney Springs has its source in an underground stream that surfaces here near the Arkansas River. The site was used by pioneers and early residents of Indian Territory Tulsa for watering stock before crossing the river. A ferry replaced the ford at this point, serving travel between Tulsa and Red Fork until the advent of bridges. In 1832, Washington Irving stopped at this spring and was so impressed by its beauty that he wrote about it.
The family owned the home until 1975, when it was purchased by local philanthropists Roger and Donna Hardesty, who in turn sold the mansion to the law firm of Doyle, Holmes, Gasaway and Green. The historic estate also served as a bed and breakfast inn during the late 1990s and in recent years, a popular event venue. In 2014 the home returned to its original status as a private residence.
Located in the Childers Heights addition, the McBirney Mansion was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.