Holy Family is downtown Tulsa's oldest church building. Discovery of oil in the Glenpool area in 1905 brought in a rush of Irish Catholic oil field workers, and by 1907, the congregation had outgrown the original church. The church was enlarged, but soon outgrew its expanded building. In 1912, under the leadership of the Rev. John Heiring, Holy Family pastor, work began on the present building at Eighth Street and Boulder Avenue.
The architect was William P. Ginther of Akron Ohio, who built many Roman Catholic churches throughout the midwest. Construction on the current structure began May 23, 1912 and Mass dedicating the church was on April 1, 1914 in front of more than 3,500 people.
In 1973, the Tulsa Diocese was created, and Holy Family became a cathedral, the bishop's church. It houses the cathedra, the chair from which the bishop teaches and exercises authority.