Built during the oil boom by George & Leo Rapp, the Akdar Shrine Temple opened its doors as Tulsa's most exquisite venue for "first class acts" in 1925. The 1,800-seat-capacity venue was built in the exotic Moorish and Rococo style and featured elaborate murals and ornate detailing throughout its interior and exterior.
The shrine fell on hard times during the Depression and sat empty for many years. In 1946, the building was converted to a ballroom and renamed the Cimarron Ballroom. The venue removed the floor seating to make room for a dance floor and Leon McAuliffe and his Cimarron Boys brought the venue back to life with their Western swing. (McAuliffe was the former steel guitar player for Bob Wills.)
The building was demolished in the early 70s for reasons largely unknown but it is assumed it was torn down to make room for newer developments. Today, the Denver Avenue bus depot sits on the former site.