The Perrymans were mixed bloods whose ancestry stemmed from Europeans, Africans and Native Americans. The family voluntarily resettled to Oklahoma in the 1820s bringing wealth accumulated through slaveholding and plantation agriculture in the Southeast.
Once here, Lewis Perryman and his four wives established a ranch named Tallahasee, along Crow Creek. In 1848, Lewis Perryman and his large family moved near the Lochapoka settlement and established Tulsa’s first trading house. After the Civil War, Lewis’ son George expanded the family’s ranch from present day 21st Street to 71st Street extending from the east side of the Arkansas River.