Tulsa's leading black educational institution in 1921, Booker T. Washington High School earned a reputation for high-caliber teaching, academic rigor and standards of excellence for its students. Founded in 1913 with a class of 14 students and a staff of two teachers, the school was named after Booker T. Washington, an American pioneer in education.
The high school escaped destruction during the Tulsa race riot of 1921. Immediately after the riot, the American Red Cross used the building as its headquarters for relief activities.
Booker T. Washington was one of the first Tulsa public high schools to offer Advanced Placement courses and began offering the International Baccalaureate program in 1983.