The first postmaster and an early-day merchant in Tulsa, Josiah Chouteau Perryman made his mark on Tulsa after returning to the city after serving in the Civil War. He and his brother, George Perryman, built a large, white frame house that became a popular meeting place and stopover for residents and travelers through the area.
In 1878 the "White House," located on a well-traveled trail, was designated as Tulsa's official post office and Josiah Perryman was appointed Tulsa's first postmaster. In March 1879, the United States recognized George Perryman’s impressive “White House” as the town’s first post office and officially designated the new stop “Tulsa.” The post office received mail on Star Route Number 32024, a thousand-mile route from Vinita to Las Vegas, New Mexico.
In 1882 Perryman formed a partnership with "Has" Reede to take advantage of the arrival of the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway. They opened a mercantile store on the southwest corner of First and Main streets. In 1883 the post office moved to the store to provide better mail service. Perryman continued to operate the store until his death in 1889. Perryman is buried in the Perryman Cemetery, located at 32nd and Utica in Tulsa.