About Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame
The Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame and Museum is located in the historic Union Depot Building downtown. Recognized by the Oklahoma Legislature in 1988, the Hall of Fame was originally housed in the Greenwood Cultural Center. The Union Depot was Tulsa’s central railway station until closing in 1967. After sitting empty for nearly 20 years, $4 million was allocated in 2004 to purchase and renovate the depot, where the Hall of Fame has been housed since 2007.
More than 100 musicians and groups, recognized for their contributions in jazz, blues and gospel music, have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. The annual induction ceremony is held in November. Zelia N. Breaux (1880-1956), who dedicated her life to advancing music education in Oklahoma’s African American schools, was the first inductee. Since the first induction, the Hall of Fame has continued honoring Oklahoman musicians of many different cultures and backgrounds. In 1999, the Hall of Fame gave its first Jay McShann Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of musicians who have enriched Oklahoma’s music during their lifetime.
Today, the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame is a non-profit that invites Oklahomans, tourists and visitors to share in and learn about the rich music history of Oklahoma. Admission to the Hall of Fame is free and open to the public. By “creating unity through music,” the Hall of Fame has become a living record of the influence Oklahoman musicians have made in their communities and throughout the world.
In addition to the museum, live jazz events are hosted several times a month. Several educational programs, a list of events and internship opportunities can be found on their website.
Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame
5 S. Boston Ave. Tulsa, OK 74103